Spring is not only a time for personal recovery from the dreary winter months, but our houses also need to recover! After months of possible wear and tear on our homes along with possible neglect to our plumbing, we need to recoup! Spring rains are coming fast and hard, check out these spring plumbing tips so you and your home can feel better and cleaner!
1) Add a few drops of food coloring to your toilet tank. If the toilet is leaking, color will appear in the bowl within 30 minutes. Try to avoid red as it can stain your toilet.
2) Check your toilet handle. If the toilet handle must be held down through out the flush or jiggled to stop the water from running you may need to replace worn out tank parts. The tank parts don’t cost much plus you’ll save money in the long run by lowering your water bill.
3) Clean out yard drains, gutter, and downspouts. The winter can wreak havoc and make a mess for spring to deal with. Don’t forget to clean out yard drains, gutters and downspouts that may have gotten in there over winter.
4) Strain your drain. Drain strainers are a great way to stop clogging and clean your drains. They keep stuff like soap, hair, and food out of your pipes.
5) Check your water heater. It’s spring now, so no need to have hot water as high as it was in the winter! Make sure to check that the temperature setting on the water heater is not too high. If it’s higher than 120°F turn it down a bit to prevent your skin from scalding. Doing so will also save money and energy.
6) Check your sump pump, make sure it’s working how it should. These heavy spring rains can mess with your plumbing and cause a flood if it’s not working correctly.
7) Check for slow leaks. Checking for leaks is as easy as taking a reading on your water meter before bed, and then the next morning when you wake up. Without using any water overnight, the reading should be the same. If the reading is not the same something is wrong.
8) Call us! If you are too busy to follow these tips you can always give us a call and we will give your house a thorough walk-through to make sure everything is working up to par!